Yield: 2 servings
2 cup short grain rice (1/2 white, 1/2 brown)
1 egg plant
- Wash the rice as normal (see how to wash rice). Then add water up to level 2 for White Rice.
- Make sure the exterior of the cooking bowl is dry, put it back into your rice cooker and close the lid. Then select the “White Rice” option and press start. In a Zojirushi rice cooker, it will take about 1 hour.
- Wash, peel (if necessary) and chop the vegetables into bite size chunks. I just steam whatever I have available. I often like to add in potatoes, onions, green beans, capsicum, or whatever else I find in the fridge. As long as there is a nice mix of color, I’m happy.
- Place into colander in a saucepan, or use a “steamer”.
- Add a centimetre or two of water.
- Once the rice has been on for 1/2 an hour, start the vegetables steaming for about 15 minutes. Then turn off the heat and leave until the rice is ready.
- Squeeze the 1/4 lemon into a small dish ready to pour over the vegetables. I do it this way to avoid squeezing pips onto my veg.
- When serving the vegetables, once put in a bowl, pour over the lemon juice and add some pepper.
Total time is about 1 hour once the rice is on. Preparing the vegetables shouldn’t take very long so total prep time is less than 30 minutes.
2 cups of rice is quite a lot to eat at once. Reduce to 1 or 1 1/2 if you are not in the mood to smash it.
Tip: You can save on gas/electricity by steaming your vegetables for 10-15 minutes then letting them sit (without heating) in the pot with the lid on for a further 15 minutes or so.
Figures provided by CRON-O-meter