Before becoming vegan, I used to enjoy going to a local yaki-tori restaurant and enjoyed various barbecued meats such as chicken wings, chicken skin and chicken cartilage (which used to be one of my favourites). Another dish which I was often given was chicken, mushroom and rice. The following recipe is a veganized version. In other words, no chicken – and lots more mushrooms!
|Mushrooms and Rice||
- 1 cup short grain white rice
- 120g mushrooms (I usually use maitake and shimeji)
- 20g dried mushrooms (I use shitake)
- soy sauce (1 tsp)
- Wash the rice as normal (see how to wash rice). Then add water up to level 1 for White Rice.
- Add the dried mushrooms.
- Clean up the raw mushrooms and break/cut into bite size pieces then add to the cooking bowl.
- Add the soy sauce.
- Return the cooking bowl to the rice cooker ensuring the exterior is dry, select the ‘white rice’ setting and press Start.