When I worked at a local Japanese junior high school, the kids and teachers all ate the same school lunch. Sweet potatoes and rice (Imo-gohan in Japanese) was a semi-regular mixed rice dish they used to serve. Coming from Scotland, I’m always happy to eat potatoes, so I really enjoyed this dish on days I was feeling a little bit homesick!
|Japanese Sweet Potato and Rice|| |
- 1 cup white rice (150g)
- 1 medium sweet potato (120g)
- Sesame seeds
- Wash the rice as normal (see How to Wash Rice).
- Add the washed rice to the rice cooker cooking bowl and add water up to the level 1 mark for white rice.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into small chunks and add to the rice cooker cooking bowl.
- Dry the outside of the cooking bowl, return to the rice cooker, select the White Rice program and press Start.
- Once cooked, mix to mash in the potatoes then serve up and sprinkle sesame seeds and salt on top.